Skip to main content

bye-bye paci!

We have done it y'all. Canon is no-longer a paci-kid. It took a lot of hard-work and determination on our part, but we, as parents, have succeeded.

Haha, just kidding. Canon did sleep without his pacifier last week, which has led to him not having it all, but it wasn't something we tried for or planned. Way to go, kid.

This is how it went down. Last Thursday night we were getting Canon ready for bed and we just couldn't find that last one we had. We're always losing them, but this time we seriously had no more. I frantically looked outside, in the car, under the crib, dresser...couldn't find one. We were joking about it possibly being the night we went cold-turkey, but I wasn't sure I was ready for that. So while he was screaming in his crib, I even more frantically went next door and asked to borrow one from our super sweet neighbors whose 6-month old uses the same ones.

I came back in and thought "well, I'll just go rock him a little bit without it and see what happens". Of course, he fell asleep almost immediately and I put him back in. I knew the hardest part would be the initial falling asleep because most of the time in the middle of the night, if he wakes up, he doesn't need it to fall back asleep.

The next morning, he woke up SO happy. Not groggy or crying, but talking and smiling. So I figured hey, let's do it. He has fallen asleep for every nap and night time super well since. We rock him a little longer now and wait until he is just a little more drowsy before laying him in his crib, but that is fine by me! I love when he puts his little head on my shoulder.

Taking away the pacifier affects not just sleep though. We definitely gave it to him when he was upset, during church, on long car rides - I mean, he had it a lot. The first major tantrum has come and gone, and while it lasted a lot longer than normal, it wasn't terrible. Church was okay - I think it just means I'll have to take him out more often due to his tendency to talk super loud. We haven't tackled the long car ride yet.

Honestly, and this is just our experience, but I feel like he has actually been happier without it. He has definitely been waking up happier in the mornings. Even in the car, when he used to cry until he got it, he has started playing more, talking more and engaging in other things.

Like most things with him, my anxiety over the change was way higher than his reaction. Gotta love him!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

going public

Well...there is not really any other way to say this but... Aaron and I are having a BABY! Yep, Baby Schultz should be arriving this Labor Day. We could not be more thrilled about the news! Once we got through the 12-week ultrasound, which is what this picture is from, we were ready to spread the news! I know there are still lots of people who should have gotten phone calls, and for that I apologize that you are finding out now, but I was just ready to get it out there! And now I will answer the questions that typically follow up this kind of announcement. 1. Were you trying? Well....not exactly. From the beginning I have felt pretty strongly that we were not in control of this whole baby-making situation. I have known many women who got pregnant on birth control, or when they didn't even know they could, and those who "planned" it and then it has taken longer than hoped. I've just always been pretty sure that when the Lord determined we were ready, He'd

spill about your LOVE link-up

I'm linking up with A. Liz Adventures today for this fun little questionnaire!  {1} Describe your dating life prior to finding your husband/boyfriend/fiance. I had 2 serious relationships before meeting Aaron, one in high school (as serious as that can be, ha!) and one in college. Before meeting Aaron, I had been single for about 3 1/2 years. {2} Describe your husband/boyfriend/fiance in one word. How would he describe you in one word?   The word I always use to describe Aaron is steady. He is the calm to my crazy. Also, is faith is the most consistent and steadfast I've ever seen. He says to describe me in 1 word is too hard.  {3} You had a really silly fight. Embarrassing silly. What was it about? Our most frequent fight is over the dishes. And that seems silly to me.  {4} In three sentences (and only three!), describe where you both hope to be in 5 years. Surrounded by family and friends, probably with another child, in a house with a front porch

mid-month confessions

Y'all. I am SO excited for the return of mid-month confessions!! Elizabeth, over at Teaching Sam & Scout , used to do mid-week confessions that I linked up for a couple of times before her original blog shut down. Since starting at a new space and kind of rebranding herself, she's decided to get them going again, but once a month instead of once a week. AND she's partnered up with one of my best girls from Clemson, Heather! I'm really looking forward to this link-up each month! - First, I have to say, today was just one of those days, so this might be brief. - On Sunday, our youngest child, Ben (4 weeks) spit up straight into the mouth of our friend Geoff who was holding him. Yes, possibly more embarrassing for Geoff, but I felt terrible!   - When I wrote our family goals for 2015 on the blog, I purposefully left off one thing; brush Canon's teeth once a day. YES, I know. We're terrible and haven't quite worked it into our routines yet so