Skip to main content

challenge update and a surprise!

  30-Day Challenge
to

Eat at HOME!

Today marks 10 days of the "Eat at Home Challenge". I am glad to announce that so far, we've made it! I will admit, this weekend was challenging and we were definitely missing our Saturday Chick-fil-a! Aaron did want to take a walk to 7-eleven on Saturday afternoon, but restricted himself to just a Rolling Stone magazine.  I'm proud of us and hope that we can build on this success for the next 20 days! I've been collecting recipes that are quick and easy and I must say that I think the realization that making dinner doesn't have to be a huge ordeal has certainly helped in this challenge. For the first few months of our marriage, I placed and unnecessary expectation on myself to make these amazing, from scratch, big meals for us. Well, I'll tell you what, that got us no where except stressed and upset! I've enjoyed this past week of having the refrigerator, freezer and pantry stocked so that I can just come home and throw something together. No stress and pretty good! Some of our recent favorites have been soup in a bread bowl (Panera gives extra bread to Aaron's school on Tuesdays!!) a lot of chicken and fried rice and fresh veggies from a field trip Aaron's class took to a local farm. 

In other news....Aaron surprised me with a super awesome gift to celebrate 1 year since he proposed! As all New Orleanians know, food is such a huge part of that culture and that did not rub of lightly on us! So, on Saturday, Aaron presented me with a gift that reminded me of all the great restaurants we enjoyed together! 

The last two weeks in New Orleans, Aaron made a huge list of all the places we had been together and then ventured out all over the city to gather business cards, menus and other tidbits from them! He made the comment that the best part about this gift is every time we look at it, we see another story of our time spent in the city where we fell in love! What a sweet guy! 

Now, if only we could narrow it down to just 2 or 3 for when we return to NoLa in November! 

Comments

  1. So impressed with the 30 day challenge. Please keep me updated!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 meatloaves:

    2# ground beef
    1# ground pork
    2 large onions, diced
    2 sleeves crushed soda crackers
    2 eggs
    6 tsp catsup
    3 tsp mustard
    2 tsp Worcestershire
    salt & pepper to taste

    Put into your largest mixing bowl or stew pot. Wash your hands. Now mix it all together thoroughly with your hands. Next fill a 1 quart ziploc bag as full as possible, and freeze. Put the rest in a buttered loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 90 minutes.

    You can do the mixing during the halftime of a ball game, and you've got 4 or 6 meals all together. You can slice it cold and wave it for a really quick meal, or cold sandwiches are good, to.

    Spaghetti sauce

    1# mild Italian sausage
    1 large diced onion
    1 head of garlic, peeled and diced.

    Put all three in stew pot and start browning. While it's browning:

    1 pint white mushrooms halved or quartered, depending on size.
    1 green pepper, diced. You know how to clean a green pepper, right? Cut off top and bottom and clean out everything that isn't green. Then halve longitudinally, and cut into strips. Chop the strips.

    2 small cans tomato paste
    1 medium can tomato sauce
    1 #10 can peeled, diced tomatoes.

    When done browning, pour off the grease.

    Add everything to the pot

    1/2 tsp each, oregano, basil, & thyme.
    S & P to taste.

    Let simmer, covered 30-60 minutes, uncover, and check your spices. Make sure you can taste them--so add if necessary. Simmer uncovered til desired consistency if necessary.

    This will serve at least two, even four meals. Easy and quick to reheat. You can freeze some if you want, but it keeps well on the bottom shelf of a refrigerator, next to the beer.

    Good luck, you're getting to 30!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

going public

Well...there is not really any other way to say this but... Aaron and I are having a BABY! Yep, Baby Schultz should be arriving this Labor Day. We could not be more thrilled about the news! Once we got through the 12-week ultrasound, which is what this picture is from, we were ready to spread the news! I know there are still lots of people who should have gotten phone calls, and for that I apologize that you are finding out now, but I was just ready to get it out there! And now I will answer the questions that typically follow up this kind of announcement. 1. Were you trying? Well....not exactly. From the beginning I have felt pretty strongly that we were not in control of this whole baby-making situation. I have known many women who got pregnant on birth control, or when they didn't even know they could, and those who "planned" it and then it has taken longer than hoped. I've just always been pretty sure that when the Lord determined we were ready, He'd

spill about your LOVE link-up

I'm linking up with A. Liz Adventures today for this fun little questionnaire!  {1} Describe your dating life prior to finding your husband/boyfriend/fiance. I had 2 serious relationships before meeting Aaron, one in high school (as serious as that can be, ha!) and one in college. Before meeting Aaron, I had been single for about 3 1/2 years. {2} Describe your husband/boyfriend/fiance in one word. How would he describe you in one word?   The word I always use to describe Aaron is steady. He is the calm to my crazy. Also, is faith is the most consistent and steadfast I've ever seen. He says to describe me in 1 word is too hard.  {3} You had a really silly fight. Embarrassing silly. What was it about? Our most frequent fight is over the dishes. And that seems silly to me.  {4} In three sentences (and only three!), describe where you both hope to be in 5 years. Surrounded by family and friends, probably with another child, in a house with a front porch

mid-month confessions

Y'all. I am SO excited for the return of mid-month confessions!! Elizabeth, over at Teaching Sam & Scout , used to do mid-week confessions that I linked up for a couple of times before her original blog shut down. Since starting at a new space and kind of rebranding herself, she's decided to get them going again, but once a month instead of once a week. AND she's partnered up with one of my best girls from Clemson, Heather! I'm really looking forward to this link-up each month! - First, I have to say, today was just one of those days, so this might be brief. - On Sunday, our youngest child, Ben (4 weeks) spit up straight into the mouth of our friend Geoff who was holding him. Yes, possibly more embarrassing for Geoff, but I felt terrible!   - When I wrote our family goals for 2015 on the blog, I purposefully left off one thing; brush Canon's teeth once a day. YES, I know. We're terrible and haven't quite worked it into our routines yet so