Skip to main content

Augustine Oliver Schultz

Early November 9th, we welcomed our fourth son, Augustine Oliver Schultz into the world! He was another scheduled c-section, at 39 weeks and 1 day. He weighed 9lbs 1oz, coming in 2nd only to Ben in terms of birth weight!

My mom came into town the Tuesday beforehand and we checked lots of things off our list. With the exception of organizing clothes (thanks friends!), I had literally done nothing to get ready. We cleaned the room that will become his bedroom, separated clothes and swaddles, bought a changing table/dresser combo and she even gifted us a deep freezer! It was a very productive 2 1/2 days!

The night before we continued a tradition of eating out at a mexican restaurant. Then came home and did all our normal bedtime routines. The boys knew that when they woke up they would be with my mom and we would be at the hospital.

Before we all went to bed, we ended up around the dining table brainstorming more names. Going into the summer/fall we were somewhat set on Ari Augustine Oliver Schultz and calling him Ari. Then during the last two months, Aaron made a stronger push for just Augustine. (#formerclassicalteacher and #seminarystudent haha!) And then that night before, we added Abbott and Easton. We went into the hospital and Aaron was polling almost every nurse while we were doing all the pre-op. Augustine was not everyone's favorite, btw.

Anyway, we arrived at the hospital at 5am and immediately were checked into our room. They started all the fluids, etc and by 7:30am I was in the operating room. This being my 4th c-section, I knew the routine and what to expect (numbness, tingling, tugging and pressure - then sweet relief!). He was born at 7:50am. They took him to the warmer and did all of his stats, then gave him to Aaron.

It took a good amount of time to finish up the procedure, and then we were brought into the recovery room. I felt pretty good afterwards, no nausea or or shaking. He started nursing, but pretty quickly the nurse called down a lactation consultant to check on things. Again, being that this was my 4th baby, I knew what to expect and already had a plan. The LC thankfully was on my side and gave me a nipple shield to continue. It was in the recovery room where they first mentioned we would need to watch out for a potential blood sugar issue. He was right on the line for being Large for Gestational Age, right at 90th %. He had some jitters when the nurses were changing a diaper, so they told us to watch his body for more of that. 

It was also in the recovery room that we decided on his name. Aaron was telling me that when he e-mailed the Dean of the Chapel to add him to the prayers, he went with Augustine Oliver Schultz. The nurse who was in the room at the time turned to us and asked Aaron to repeat the name he just said. She said she loved it and actually had goosebumps, which "never" happens. Well, that is all it took for us to finalize his name! Augustine, pronounced uh-gus-ten, which is apparently the more "classical" pronunciation, and Oliver, for my granddaddy. 

Aaron brought the big boys over to meet him that afternoon. It is always a little chaotic bringing our boys into hospital rooms, but they were mostly excited to meet him and hold him! 


Later in the afternoon, when they gave him a bath, the nurse noticed the he was jittery and decided to take his blood sugar. They want it to be above 45 or 50, and it was 44. So he was officially on watch. The next few times I nursed they would come in a take a reading about an hour afterwards and he continued to have low numbers, even when we started supplementing with donor breastmilk. Around 4:30am on Saturday morning they made the decision to take him in the NICU to keep a better watch. Into Saturday, with formula supplementing, his numbers weren't high enough or stable. Around noon a NICU nurse said we could either increase the frequency of his feedings, to every 2 hours, or go ahead and put an IV in him to get him stabilized with sugar. That would mean at least another 24 hours in the NICU, but seeing as the feedings weren't helping, I chose to go ahead and have them start the IV. 

Thankfully it didn't take super long for his numbers to shoot up into the 60s and 70s and stay there. I was discharged on Sunday afternoon and at that point the doctor had already okay'd dropping down his level of sugar in his IV after each feeding. By the time we got back over the hospital on Monday morning for his 9am feeding, he was disconnected from the IV. They were still monitoring his levels after each feeding and he was staying about 50! The NICU required him to do a 2 hour carseat test and us to watch 3 videos about caring for babies. Then right when he was done with his carseat test we were able to take him home!!
Welcome to this crazy family Augustine!! 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

going public

Well...there is not really any other way to say this but... Aaron and I are having a BABY! Yep, Baby Schultz should be arriving this Labor Day. We could not be more thrilled about the news! Once we got through the 12-week ultrasound, which is what this picture is from, we were ready to spread the news! I know there are still lots of people who should have gotten phone calls, and for that I apologize that you are finding out now, but I was just ready to get it out there! And now I will answer the questions that typically follow up this kind of announcement. 1. Were you trying? Well....not exactly. From the beginning I have felt pretty strongly that we were not in control of this whole baby-making situation. I have known many women who got pregnant on birth control, or when they didn't even know they could, and those who "planned" it and then it has taken longer than hoped. I've just always been pretty sure that when the Lord determined we were ready, He'd

spill about your LOVE link-up

I'm linking up with A. Liz Adventures today for this fun little questionnaire!  {1} Describe your dating life prior to finding your husband/boyfriend/fiance. I had 2 serious relationships before meeting Aaron, one in high school (as serious as that can be, ha!) and one in college. Before meeting Aaron, I had been single for about 3 1/2 years. {2} Describe your husband/boyfriend/fiance in one word. How would he describe you in one word?   The word I always use to describe Aaron is steady. He is the calm to my crazy. Also, is faith is the most consistent and steadfast I've ever seen. He says to describe me in 1 word is too hard.  {3} You had a really silly fight. Embarrassing silly. What was it about? Our most frequent fight is over the dishes. And that seems silly to me.  {4} In three sentences (and only three!), describe where you both hope to be in 5 years. Surrounded by family and friends, probably with another child, in a house with a front porch

mid-month confessions

Y'all. I am SO excited for the return of mid-month confessions!! Elizabeth, over at Teaching Sam & Scout , used to do mid-week confessions that I linked up for a couple of times before her original blog shut down. Since starting at a new space and kind of rebranding herself, she's decided to get them going again, but once a month instead of once a week. AND she's partnered up with one of my best girls from Clemson, Heather! I'm really looking forward to this link-up each month! - First, I have to say, today was just one of those days, so this might be brief. - On Sunday, our youngest child, Ben (4 weeks) spit up straight into the mouth of our friend Geoff who was holding him. Yes, possibly more embarrassing for Geoff, but I felt terrible!   - When I wrote our family goals for 2015 on the blog, I purposefully left off one thing; brush Canon's teeth once a day. YES, I know. We're terrible and haven't quite worked it into our routines yet so