Skip to main content

Remembering Grandpa

This past weekend, Canon and I traveled to Minnesota to celebrate the life of my Grandpa, Ed Sovik. He passed away last week after a long battle with Parkinson's. His obituary describes just a few of the amazing accomplishments he achieved throughout his life.

 
Sovik, Edward Anders age 95, of Northfield, May 4, 2014. Born of Lutheran missionaries in Henan Province, China, he left at 17 to enroll in St. Olaf College along with a twin brother and an older sister, graduating in 1939. He went on to study painting at the Art Students League in New York, and later theology at Luther Seminary in St. Paul. After the attack on Pearl Harbor he enlisted in the Marine Corps, serving as a night fighter pilot in the Pacific; he was awarded a Purple Heart and Distinguished Flying Cross. In 1949, he earned his architecture degree from Yale University and began an architectural practice in Northfield and a teaching career in the St. Olaf art department. While churches were a focus of his practice, his work ranged widely, including many buildings for St. Olaf, Carleton, Concordia (Moorhead), and Stevens colleges, the University of Minnesota, and other institutional projects. He was a Fellow of the American Institute of Architects, a president of the Minnesota Society of the AIA, and a recipient of its Gold Medal. His book, Architecture for Worship, was published in 1973, and he wrote numerous professional articles and monographs. He was a man of many interests and talents, including drawing and poetry, and will be further remembered for his good will, eloquence, and quiet generosity. In 1946, he married Genevieve Hendrickson, who died in 2000. In 2001 he married Anne Running. Survived by his wife Anne, sons Rolf (Mary Gail), Martin, Peter (Lauren); stepchildren Julia and Andrew Tabbut; granddaughters Amanda Sovik-Johnston (Robert), Katherine Schultz (Aaron); three great-grandsons; brother Arne (Ellen), sister Margaret Lindell; and his nieces and nephews. The family extends heartfelt thanks to the devoted staff at the Northfield Hospital Long Term Care Center for their professional and loving care. A memorial service will be held Saturday, May 10 at 2:00 at St. John's Lutheran Church, 500 3rd St. W., Northfield, with visitation one hour prior to the service. Memorials preferred to St. John's Lutheran Church, St. Olaf College, Luther Seminary, Concordia College, or Habitat for Humanity. biermanfuneralhome.com

It is hard to put into words how I feel about him and his passing. We didn't see him a lot, especially as we got older, but I always knew he loved us and supported us . Until he couldn't, he wrote the sweetest cards to us on holidays and birthdays, and had handwriting that was only readable to a "trained" eye. He was certainly of a different generation, as I remember sitting in his living room attempting to explain to him what Instant Messaging was when I was in middle school. They had a pool in their backyard and when we would visit in the summers, I remember many days swimming, playing, shucking corn on the deck and playing Gin Rummy on the screened porch. He did many things for my sister and I, probably so much more than I even know about, and I am so proud to have known him.  
I'm glad Canon and I were able to be there to remember him. It is always nice to have young life running around during these times, and Canon provided exactly the sort of comic relief and cuteness that was needed. It was great to see family and hear the stories of a man that was so well respected. We will certainly miss him, and I hope to be able to pass down my own sweet memories as well as his professional legacy to my children. 

Comments

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. That is a very nice obituary, by the way. However, I always think that no obituary can ever give justice to how much a person has meant to his relatives. Anyway, I'm sure your grandfather is in a better place right now. You will always have his memories to carry with you forever, right? :)
    Marcia Sherman @ Comfort Keepers

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

going public

Well...there is not really any other way to say this but... Aaron and I are having a BABY! Yep, Baby Schultz should be arriving this Labor Day. We could not be more thrilled about the news! Once we got through the 12-week ultrasound, which is what this picture is from, we were ready to spread the news! I know there are still lots of people who should have gotten phone calls, and for that I apologize that you are finding out now, but I was just ready to get it out there! And now I will answer the questions that typically follow up this kind of announcement. 1. Were you trying? Well....not exactly. From the beginning I have felt pretty strongly that we were not in control of this whole baby-making situation. I have known many women who got pregnant on birth control, or when they didn't even know they could, and those who "planned" it and then it has taken longer than hoped. I've just always been pretty sure that when the Lord determined we were ready, He'd

spill about your LOVE link-up

I'm linking up with A. Liz Adventures today for this fun little questionnaire!  {1} Describe your dating life prior to finding your husband/boyfriend/fiance. I had 2 serious relationships before meeting Aaron, one in high school (as serious as that can be, ha!) and one in college. Before meeting Aaron, I had been single for about 3 1/2 years. {2} Describe your husband/boyfriend/fiance in one word. How would he describe you in one word?   The word I always use to describe Aaron is steady. He is the calm to my crazy. Also, is faith is the most consistent and steadfast I've ever seen. He says to describe me in 1 word is too hard.  {3} You had a really silly fight. Embarrassing silly. What was it about? Our most frequent fight is over the dishes. And that seems silly to me.  {4} In three sentences (and only three!), describe where you both hope to be in 5 years. Surrounded by family and friends, probably with another child, in a house with a front porch

mid-month confessions

Y'all. I am SO excited for the return of mid-month confessions!! Elizabeth, over at Teaching Sam & Scout , used to do mid-week confessions that I linked up for a couple of times before her original blog shut down. Since starting at a new space and kind of rebranding herself, she's decided to get them going again, but once a month instead of once a week. AND she's partnered up with one of my best girls from Clemson, Heather! I'm really looking forward to this link-up each month! - First, I have to say, today was just one of those days, so this might be brief. - On Sunday, our youngest child, Ben (4 weeks) spit up straight into the mouth of our friend Geoff who was holding him. Yes, possibly more embarrassing for Geoff, but I felt terrible!   - When I wrote our family goals for 2015 on the blog, I purposefully left off one thing; brush Canon's teeth once a day. YES, I know. We're terrible and haven't quite worked it into our routines yet so