Skip to main content

#nolawknd2013

We had such a great time in New Orleans last weekend. This trip was in place of our disaster attempt to get there in October for our friends Kim & Matt's wedding. We're so glad we got to spend lots of time with them while we were there and we also got to celebrate 3 years since our first date, which was MLK day 2010.

We flew in and immediately went to St. Paul, where Aaron taught. Canon got to meet one of his Godparents, Chuck, who is the Principal of St. Paul.

Chuck was quickly headed out to a conference and we were lucky to even see him for a second, which explains why we didn't get a "real" picture. We had a great time catching up with teachers, students and friends while we there! 

We made it to Kim and Matt's house Uptown and settled in for the night. I also have to say, Canon did a great job. Throughout the whole trip, his naps were off, he didn't nap in his pack n' play more than once each day, but he slept great through the night! In fact, Kim & Matt just got a new puppy so we slept better than they did! Ha! One of my favorite things we did both Saturday and Monday morning were wake up and walk just a few block to Satsuma for breakfast. That would be where I got my first (and unfortunately only) piece of King Cake

We had a nice afternoon playing with Jackie, Kim & Matt's dog, hanging out on the porch, drinking daquiri's and meeting new friends!





That night was Krewe du Vieux, so we gathered more friends and headed down to the quarter. We spontaneously decided to eat at El Gato Negro, which is where Aaron and I ate on our second date!



Then we hightailed it back to the Marigny where we were so lucky to have a babysitter for Canon so Aaron and I could enjoy the parade! Hope, one of Aaron's former students, babysat and she did a great job! We joined up with more friends and did our best to catch some throws and spot our friends who were rolling in Krewe Delusion. It was a perfect New Orleans night!


  

Sunday morning we were able to hang out with more friends at Cake Cafe, our favorite breakfast place in the Marigny. Aaron and I made a super fun habit of getting breakfast there every week before church. We are so lucky that our friends often join us when we're visiting! 
 
After church we got to hang out with our friends Hannah and Jason, who just had a little girl, Juliet. She was exactly 1 month the day we were there! I couldn't get over how small she was and could not take my hands off her! Seeing her really made me realize just how big Canon has gotten! We can't wait to see them again...and of course, we're already joking about their arranged marriage!


Later that afternoon we headed to the Quarter to feast on beignets from Cafe du Monde and take a stroll around Jackson Square. Of course, there was a brass band playing in front of the Cathedral, so we had to stop, listen and dance a bit!



That night was another relaxing night in with Kim & Matt, catching up on sleep. The next morning, which was sadly our last, we got to hang out with our former roommate, Katie, and also see Ken, Mel & their sweet baby girls! Since moving away, Mel & I have bonded over blogs, Friday Night Lights and babies. I was so excited to meet her newest girl, introduce Canon and share some mommy-stories. And Canon had his first time in a swing!



And finally before heading to the airport, Aaron, Canon and I ate at the Gumbo Shop, the restaurant where Aaron asked me to marry him! It was just as good as ever. We took a short walk to the river and then headed out. 


 
It was an ah-mahz-ing weekend. I am so grateful for the friendships we have there and I was so sad to leave them! I know we didn't get to see everyone we wanted to, but it was so nice to kind of just live life for a weekend. A HUGE thanks to Kim & Matt for hosting us (can't believe we didn't get more pics!). They are also Canon's Godparents and I'm so glad they got to hang out. We love y'all!!!!! We'll hopefully be back soon, especially once your house renovations are done!

To the city where we fell and love and got married, you'll always have a special place in our heart! See you again soon NOLA!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

going public

Well...there is not really any other way to say this but... Aaron and I are having a BABY! Yep, Baby Schultz should be arriving this Labor Day. We could not be more thrilled about the news! Once we got through the 12-week ultrasound, which is what this picture is from, we were ready to spread the news! I know there are still lots of people who should have gotten phone calls, and for that I apologize that you are finding out now, but I was just ready to get it out there! And now I will answer the questions that typically follow up this kind of announcement. 1. Were you trying? Well....not exactly. From the beginning I have felt pretty strongly that we were not in control of this whole baby-making situation. I have known many women who got pregnant on birth control, or when they didn't even know they could, and those who "planned" it and then it has taken longer than hoped. I've just always been pretty sure that when the Lord determined we were ready, He'd

spill about your LOVE link-up

I'm linking up with A. Liz Adventures today for this fun little questionnaire!  {1} Describe your dating life prior to finding your husband/boyfriend/fiance. I had 2 serious relationships before meeting Aaron, one in high school (as serious as that can be, ha!) and one in college. Before meeting Aaron, I had been single for about 3 1/2 years. {2} Describe your husband/boyfriend/fiance in one word. How would he describe you in one word?   The word I always use to describe Aaron is steady. He is the calm to my crazy. Also, is faith is the most consistent and steadfast I've ever seen. He says to describe me in 1 word is too hard.  {3} You had a really silly fight. Embarrassing silly. What was it about? Our most frequent fight is over the dishes. And that seems silly to me.  {4} In three sentences (and only three!), describe where you both hope to be in 5 years. Surrounded by family and friends, probably with another child, in a house with a front porch

mid-month confessions

Y'all. I am SO excited for the return of mid-month confessions!! Elizabeth, over at Teaching Sam & Scout , used to do mid-week confessions that I linked up for a couple of times before her original blog shut down. Since starting at a new space and kind of rebranding herself, she's decided to get them going again, but once a month instead of once a week. AND she's partnered up with one of my best girls from Clemson, Heather! I'm really looking forward to this link-up each month! - First, I have to say, today was just one of those days, so this might be brief. - On Sunday, our youngest child, Ben (4 weeks) spit up straight into the mouth of our friend Geoff who was holding him. Yes, possibly more embarrassing for Geoff, but I felt terrible!   - When I wrote our family goals for 2015 on the blog, I purposefully left off one thing; brush Canon's teeth once a day. YES, I know. We're terrible and haven't quite worked it into our routines yet so