Skip to main content

it is finally over....kind of

  30-Day Challenge
to

Eat at HOME!

Finally, our 30 Day Challenge to Eat at Home is over! Today = day 30 and I couldn't be more excited. We've done pretty well, but I have to admit, we did not make it the whole 30 days. But I promise we have really good excuses for why! haha.
The first "cheat" came earlier in October. The Rocky Mountain Lutheran School District hosted a conference in Breckenridge and Aaron's school graciously took both of us up there! (PS, if you click on the link, the 5th picture in feature's Aaron's little brother, Alex! He is the one in the middle on the right side!) So, for 3 days, we were happily stuck in a beautiful hotel/conference center in the mountains, watching the leaves change and the first snow of the season!



We were there 2 nights and really had no choice but to eat out! We made sure not to go crazy just because it was a bit of a "free weekend"!! We enjoyed good meals with fellow teachers and staff and had a great time while we were there.

The next "free weekend" was this past weekend. Aaron's great friend, Nathan, drove from Lincoln, Nebraska to visit us! I don't have a picture from the weekend, but here are some from the wedding...

Nathan gave a toast at our cake reception!

So Nathan came to visit and they had such a jam-packed weekend! From school soccer games, to the Denver Rapids MLS game on Friday to driving up to Ft. Collins to see Boise St play on Saturday, we just needed to eat out, haha! Not to mention it was Nathan's first time to Denver, so of course we had to show him around! I would say our highlight was definitely finally trying out Lucille's Creole Cafe.


A small taste of New Orleans, we began our Sunday morning meal with beignets!! Though we weren't at Cafe Du Monde with the river behind us and crazy people watching in the French Quarter, they were still good. Aaron got the Creole Omelet, which he really enjoyed, and Nathan and I both got Eggs Benedict. We will definitely be returning to this place. There is New Orleans paraphernalia all over the place! It might be our best option for donating all those Mardi Gras beads we brought with us! While we're talking about New Orleans, for lunch on Saturday (in order to watch some quality football games) we made our way over to Stoney's Bar. Stoney's is known for being the "Saints" bar in Denver and it certainly lived up! There was Saints stuff all over the walls and they have a huge giveaway going on for a free trip to New Orleans for a game! Though we didn't make it there this past Sunday, I'm sure we will head over for a game before the season ends. Its so nice to find little pieces of NOLA here in Denver!

So, that is how our 30 day challenge ended. On a super positive side, we really enjoyed the money we saved and the meals we cooked! Aaron cooked Gumbo twice and we've had a lot of Jambalaya and Red Beans and Rice. Yay for Zatarains! Cooking is no longer a burden and I'm soooo glad our weekend-eating-out-extravanganza has been curbed!

Here is the kicker though, Aaron wants to continue on until November 11! He's crazy. We're headed down to New Orleans for a wedding that weekend and he is convinced it would be "really cool" or "really special" or something ridiculous to have our first meal out back in NOLA. I'm not sure I can go that long! I set the boundaries for our 30-day challenge of no spending money on food except at the grocery store, so 7-eleven and coffee shops were out of the question. For his continued challenge, I think he's gonna be a little more lenient....so Panera, here I come! (Coffee shops has definitely been the part I have missed the most!) I'm not promising anything for the Nov. 11th date, though I do think its kind of sweet and romantic to break the "fast" in New Orleans. I can't wait to be back in the city, especially after all the New Orleans places we discovered this weekend! I think only 23 more days until we arrive!!!!!

Have you done any challenges lately? Anything relating to food, exercise or entertainment? I'd love to hear about it!























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

going public

Well...there is not really any other way to say this but... Aaron and I are having a BABY! Yep, Baby Schultz should be arriving this Labor Day. We could not be more thrilled about the news! Once we got through the 12-week ultrasound, which is what this picture is from, we were ready to spread the news! I know there are still lots of people who should have gotten phone calls, and for that I apologize that you are finding out now, but I was just ready to get it out there! And now I will answer the questions that typically follow up this kind of announcement. 1. Were you trying? Well....not exactly. From the beginning I have felt pretty strongly that we were not in control of this whole baby-making situation. I have known many women who got pregnant on birth control, or when they didn't even know they could, and those who "planned" it and then it has taken longer than hoped. I've just always been pretty sure that when the Lord determined we were ready, He'd

spill about your LOVE link-up

I'm linking up with A. Liz Adventures today for this fun little questionnaire!  {1} Describe your dating life prior to finding your husband/boyfriend/fiance. I had 2 serious relationships before meeting Aaron, one in high school (as serious as that can be, ha!) and one in college. Before meeting Aaron, I had been single for about 3 1/2 years. {2} Describe your husband/boyfriend/fiance in one word. How would he describe you in one word?   The word I always use to describe Aaron is steady. He is the calm to my crazy. Also, is faith is the most consistent and steadfast I've ever seen. He says to describe me in 1 word is too hard.  {3} You had a really silly fight. Embarrassing silly. What was it about? Our most frequent fight is over the dishes. And that seems silly to me.  {4} In three sentences (and only three!), describe where you both hope to be in 5 years. Surrounded by family and friends, probably with another child, in a house with a front porch

mid-month confessions

Y'all. I am SO excited for the return of mid-month confessions!! Elizabeth, over at Teaching Sam & Scout , used to do mid-week confessions that I linked up for a couple of times before her original blog shut down. Since starting at a new space and kind of rebranding herself, she's decided to get them going again, but once a month instead of once a week. AND she's partnered up with one of my best girls from Clemson, Heather! I'm really looking forward to this link-up each month! - First, I have to say, today was just one of those days, so this might be brief. - On Sunday, our youngest child, Ben (4 weeks) spit up straight into the mouth of our friend Geoff who was holding him. Yes, possibly more embarrassing for Geoff, but I felt terrible!   - When I wrote our family goals for 2015 on the blog, I purposefully left off one thing; brush Canon's teeth once a day. YES, I know. We're terrible and haven't quite worked it into our routines yet so